Organizing your cupboards
A lot of items we have in our kitchen take up a lot of space; half a packet of rice here and half a box of cereal there, and you got yourself a lot of potential space being taken away. The solution for this is very simple: do away with all those boxes and put them in these plastic containers instead.
You can put anything you want in these containers; rice, pasta, flour cake candy etc. and apart from saving space, you would be preserving the lifetime of the product and how fresh it is.
You can buy them at very affordable prices and they come in different colours and sizes. Make sure that they are hermetic and transparent.
Following this simple tip can really help organise your cupboards by removing from unnecessary packages and make more space.
If you have an avalanche of pots and pans in your cupboard, maybe you should consider buying some smart tools like pots or pans with a handle that can be removed. In this way you can stack all your tools in a little place.
Decluttering your kitchen area
Take a good look at some of the appliances you have and ask yourself this question: When was the last time I actually used this? 🙂
If you can’t remember, chances are, it’s either old, broken or totally useless.
Whatever the reason, you probably don’t need it and it would be wiser to throw it away (if it’s old or broken) or give it someone who might need it more than you.
Don’t put your fruit in a random place, buy a simple design basket.
Use your imagination
No need to be Bob the Builder to use a hammer, nails and hook. Use your imagination, find genius ideas to organize your kitchen. For example, hang your ustensils on hooks to get more space.
It is very important that you clean your kitchen thoroughly every few weeks or every two weeks but some devices like the fridge and the oven have to be cleaned more frequently.
Organize your Fridge
The fridge is one of the most important elements in your kitchen – and one that needs constant attention. You must always make sure that your fridge is clean and well-organized in order to avoid any unpleasant odours or food contamination.
Here are the steps you should follow when cleaning out your fridge:
- First empty your fridge completely and remove all the racks and drawers.
- In a separate bowl, pour white vinegar with hot water and mix.
- Use this to clean the fridge and the racks. You can also put your drawers in the dishwasher.
- The next step is to check the date of expiry for all the food items, and throw away any expired food.
- Also, take note of what was not consumed and think of the reasons why your family didn’t eat it. Did you buy too much? Does your family dislike the food? This will help you avoid food from going to waste when you’re out shopping again.
When you’re done, it’s time to put the food back into the fridge, but this time you’re going to do in a smarter way because you’re going to use plastic containers to assemble your food.
Another important thing to consider when organizing your fridge, is which food should go where. This is very important because depending on the position in the fridge, the temperature varies slightly.
Here are some guidelines to help you organize your fridge:
- Place your vegetables in the tray of vegetables
- Put any drinks and sauce in the door
- Place the eggs at the top of the door
- In the middle and bottom shelves, put the meat, cooked vegetables , fish , bakery etc. This is because the temperature here is constant.
- Finally, on the top shelf put any dairy produce ex: butter, milk, yoghurt and fresh food. This is because the temperature here is the coldest.