How can one make his or her cleaning ritual fun?
Cleaning is not something you might necessarily associate with fun, yet it needs to be done so we might as well make the most of it…right
No one enjoys coming home to a messy house, or feel like they’re fighting a losing battle with chores.
Here we will have a look at ways to make our daily routines incorporate the essentials when it comes to cleaning:
- Create your own cleaning products, spice things up a bit!
- Create different playlists
- Plan ahead, so make a weekly schedule and don’t worry if you don’t manage it all.
When you’re doing a little everyday the backlog won’t be as bulky as you think!
How do you go about creating a schedule?
Starting the ritual
It might be easier said than done to do chores every single day after work and also schedule what you’re going to do. But this will save you a lot of time and trouble.
Learn to involve everyone who lives in the house in the cleaning schedule. It will distribute the load equally and also teach young kids responsibility – besides it’s more fun to make it a family affair.
- create your schedule around your needs
- be organized when it comes to everything. From your rooms to what you clean with, this means that you know where things are and what you need
- dress appropriately when cleaning (so don’t be tempted to stay in your pjs)
- take the time to create different playlists to use when you’re going to be cleaning or clearing up, or be silent…whatever motivates you
- put on a candle with a calming scent or create your own infusion (trust me, this is very calming and at the same time energizing)
The Daily essentials
- make your bed
- make sure there aren’t clothes out that need to be in the wardrobe
- clear the bathrooms of clutter
- place the towels into the laundry baskets
- clean the sink, countertops and mirrors
- depending on your needs see if it makes more sense to do the loads on a daily, every-other-day basis or choose a day to do it all (this might involve having heaps though)
Make sure the main areas of the house are free of clutter
- clean the plates, pots and pans, and the sink
- clean the countertops
- clean the exterior of the appliances
- clear the clutter
- straighten the furniture
- wipe away any dust
On a Weekly basis
Do the floors – sweep, mop, vacuum
Schedule one deep-cleaning job per week – if it’s getting to the hob, stovetop, inside of the oven, shower or bath, windows, study, balcony or garden
Declutter! – this is an important one, simply ask yourself: ‘is this item something I use regularly?’ or ‘am I holding onto something I don’t need?’
These questions apply to anything from ornaments to clothing
- keep only the things that you need
- give the clothes you haven’t worn in two years over to charity
- appreciate the people you love (they’re more important than your cleaning schedule, prioritize well)
- go to places or areas in your house that make you happy – often
- do activities that you enjoy regularly
Once a month
- Clean out the washing machine
- Turn out the mattresses and vacuum them
These are just a few tips to get you started and interested!
Cleaning the Green way
White vinegar Baking soda
Lemon juice Essential oils
Creating your own cleaning products
All purpose – 2tsp baking soda, ½ tsp dishwashing soap, 4tbsp white vinegar, 400ml warm water and mix well
Granite cleaner – ½ c rubbing alcohol, 8 drops dishwashing soap, 2 c warm water and mix well
Glass cleaner – ¼ c rubbing alcohol, ¼ c white vinegar, 1 tbsp cornstarch, 2 c warm water and mix
A black tea brew will also work as a mirror cleaning formula
Experimenting with Essential Oils
- 2 drops tangerine
- 3 drops lavender
- 3 drops cedarwood
- 2 drops lavender
- 2 drops ylang ylang
- 2 drops jasmine
Use bergamot, ginger, peppermint, lemongrass as alternatives
… Move the ritual to your workplace – end your day at the office with a bit of a clean-up, this way you will find a clean space waiting for you the next morning.
All this will help you change the way you look at chores and cleaning in general, making it a quicker and more enjoyable task.
Having a cleaner and more organized house will also put you in a brighter mood too.
It’s all a matter of perspective!